Your Ad Here

Monday, September 27, 2010

Grizzlies Sign Draft Picks Xavier Henry & Greivis Vasquez To Contracts

By: Tyler Ward

The Memphis Grizzlies announced Friday that they have signed rookies Xavier Henry and Greivis Vasquez to contracts, just four days before the start of training camp. The contracts were multi-year deals, but full terms were not disclosed.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley was trying to use an uncommon strategy towards Henry and Vasquez, by including performance bonuses in their contracts to avoid paying their full salary (Can you say "cheap owner", anybody?) Teams can pay players up to 120 percent of their scale amount and Heisley was reportedly wanting to tie up 20 percent in performance bonuses. Heisley eventually retracted his offer, stating that he "was on the wrong side of the issue."

Henry had previously stated that he was prepared to hold out for the entire year if he didn't get the 120 percent of his scale amount. But, for now, Henry is just anxious to contribute to the Grizzlies and hopefully lead them to a playoff berth - however, he was not mad at Grizzlies management for their offer. "It's not personal. It's a business. My teammates and coaches like me," Henry said. "Even when I wasn't around they would call me to make sure I was doing all right. It wasn't them that didn't want me, so I understood that as soon as you get into this that it's a business."

He went on to say, "My agency was behind me, and they were fighting for me. My agent took a step forward and said if they weren't willing to cooperate then we were prepared to go as far as we needed on principle. But I'm ready. I've been ready for a while. I'm anxious to play."

"I'm trying to come in here and help any way that I can. I know I can play defense really well, I can shoot the ball, I can drive, so I'm trying to bring whatever package," he continued. "I can bring to help the team and try to fit in. I want to be on a playoff team and always want my team to win, so as much as I can help, that's what I'm going to do."

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said in a statement, "Like all new players, they have to get used to the speed and the physicality, athleticism and the demands of stepping up from collegiate basketball to the NBA, which are considerable," Griz general manager Chris Wallace said. "But we're excited to have them. We think they can definitely help our team. Now we'll turn them over to coach (Lionel) Hollins and his staff, and it's on them to earn their spurs as NBA players."

Henry and Vasquez, the only two first-round draft choices not to be signed, will now be able to participate in training camp, which starts Tuesday. 

Henry was drafted 12th overall by the Grizzlies, and Vasquez was taken 28th, respectively. Henry, a star at Kansas, is a 6'6" hybrid guard, who will most likely receive playing time at shooting guard -- and serve as O.J. Mayo's back-up. The one-and-done player averaged 13.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game for the Jayhawks last season. The Grizzlies now have a very promising corps of players with Henry, Mayo, and Rudy Gay. Throw in players like Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol and you have a pretty solid team - maybe not a playoff-contending team, but a very potentially good team.

Vasquez, probably the most excited player in the draft, will now participate as Mike Conley's back-up at the point guard position. Vasquez, an All-American at Maryland, averaged at least 17 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 5 assists in his final three years at the school. 

However, the former Terrapin injured his right ankle while playing in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. He had to have surgery in July to remove a bone spur. According to Vasquez, his ankle feels 100% healthy and he is expected to be back on the court in two or three weeks.

And in case you didn't know, I'm from Memphis and the Grizzlies are my favorite team (yeah, there's a few of us, but not too many). The first thing that popped into my head when I saw this was, "It's about time. I can't believe this." I was so disappointed that the Grizzlies were trying to go the cheap route and not try to win more games. The whole thing just doesn't make any sense to me. At one point, I thought Henry's rights were going to get traded to some other team. I don't know why, but I just thought, "Oh no. Please no Michael Redd! No Hedo Turkoglu! Nooo...Rip Hamilton!" There were a lot of names that popped in my head with expiring contracts or big contracts that teams would want to unload. I was so thoroughly convinced that Michael Redd was going to be in a Grizzlies uniform. I don't know why. It just happened that way. I'll be the first to tell you...I don't like Heisley as the owner of the Grizzlies - he seems to cheap his way out of things and draft some players that well...frankly, aren't going to be that good. *cough* Haaaasheeeem Thaaaabeeeet! *cough* Brian Cardinal signing. Kwame Brown (I'm sorry, but I don't want him anywhere near my team). Thabeet over Tyreke Evans & Stephen Curry. Gasol-for-nothing deal. Didn't want to give both draft choices full scale guaranteed deals. Hiring Mike Iavaroni. Anyway.....that's another story for a different day.