Your Ad Here

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Penny Hardaway Interested In Joining Heat?

By: Tyler Ward

Yes, even retired players are interested in joining the Miami Heat. After witnessing LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh form the best trio in NBA history, he immediately became enthusiastic about joining them. Hardaway hasn't played since 2007 - coincidentally, it was with Miami.

He told ESPN's Outside the Lines, "I'm just throwing my name in the hat. I'm just one to put my name out there and say, hey, I would love to be one of the guys to be on that team. I just really hope that they give me a great opportunity to come back down and show that I can do the things that I did a couple years ago."

Hardaway, 39, told Outside the Lines that he didn't want to play major minutes, as he hasn't played in 3 years. He retired after the 2007 season because he has had lengthy knee problems and surgeries. Hardaway had microfracture knee surgery a few years ago, which forced him to retire.

Personally, I would love to see Penny come back to the NBA. He is one of my favorite all-time players and I would love to see him finally win a championship. Even if he would play minimal minutes, he would still win a ring - yes, I'm calling the Heat next season's champions already. I'm sure Hardaway wouldn't sign for much and they could use him in case of an injury. Although he's gotten older, he can still shoot the ball and contribute if needed. Honestly, this would be one of my favorite sports transactions ever...yes, ever.

In the 1993 draft, Hardaway was drafted second overall by the Orlando Magic out of Memphis. Teaming up with dominate center Shaquille O'Neal, the Magic made the NBA Finals in 1995, but got swept by the Houston Rockets, 4-0. He missed the entire 1997-98 season due to a knee injury, but would come back and make four All-Star teams in the late 1990's. 

He was traded to Phoenix in 1999 and played well, but would only last four and a half seasons with the Suns. Hardaway was then traded to the New York Knicks, but his time was even shorter there, lasting two and a half seasons - he played only 83 games for the Knicks in those seasons. After a one-year hiatus, he signed with the Miami Heat in 2007, playing in 16 games and starting 8 of them. Playing around 21 minutes a game that season, he only averaged 3.5 points per game.

Hardaway has career averages of 15.2 points, 5 rebounds, and 4.5 assists with the Magic, Suns, Knicks, and Heat.